(This is the outline of the message preached by Michael Larsen on Sep 23, 2018)
Life is full of decisions. The quality of your life will be determined by the kind of decisions you make in life. How do you make wise decisions? James gives us the problem, then he gives us the promise from God, then he gives us the prescription.
1. THE PROBLEM: INDECISION
There are 3 ways indecision makes you unstable:
1) Unstable emotions
2) Unstable relationships
3) Unstable spiritual life
What's the solution? Verse 5: “If any of you lacks wisdom you should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him.”
3 practical steps.
1. Admit your need.
2. Ask for wisdom.
3. Anticipate an answer in faith.
2. THE PROMISE: GOD WILL GIVE IT
1. God does not want to make the decision for you.
2. God's wisdom is found in God's word.
3. THE PRESCRIPTION
5 principles for handling temptation.
1. Be realistic.
2. Be responsible.
3. Be ready.
James outlines the four steps that the devil uses in order to tempt you (v.14)
1. Desire. “Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desires...”
2. Deception. “He is dragged away and enticed ...”
3. Disobedience. “Then after desire has conceived it gives birth to sin.”
4. Death. “Sin, when full grown gives birth to death.”
How can we combat the devil's schemes? Be refocused and be reborn.